HOW TO GET AND STAY FIT IN YOUR 40s, 50s, AND 60s, EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU’RE TOO OLD OR ARE ANXIOUS ABOUT THE POTENTIAL FOR INJURY
Did you know there are four core reasons people over 40 struggle to get and stay fit?
Before we dive into them and what you can do about it, I want to take a moment to share a personal story with you, a story that has shaped my journey, leading me to become a health and fitness coach.
For many years, I was living a life that seemed pretty great on the surface. I had achieved success in my corporate career, but behind closed doors, I was facing a different reality. My health and fitness were suffering, and it took a toll on every aspect of my life.
Just before my 39th birthday, I took a trip to a resort in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The first morning, I tried to play sand volleyball (a sport I’ve loved since I first stepped on a court). That was all it took (less than a game) to show me exactly how far I had fallen. I was obese, unfit, unhealthy, and miserable. The phase “Fat Bastard” popped into my head.
I decided I needed to make some changes.
Over the next eight years, I tried and failed time and again. I kept making the three mistakes I’m going to share with you below. I would get some traction and then slide all the way back down the hill or into a ditch.
The one morning, I work up in a hotel room feeling worse than I had ever felt before. I looked at myself in the mirror and asked a simple yet profound question: "Why do I suck at this?"
Add to that, a call I had with my daughter a few days earlier was really eating at me. She had just become a Level 1 CrossFit instructor. This very much reminded me about who I was when I was her age. But the dig came she asked me to watch her at a competition.
I didn't want to be a spectator in my daughter’s life! I want to be a participant!
I asked myself what I truly wanted, what my vision for my health and fitness looked like. I wanted to be an active participant in my my daughter's life, to feel strong, capable, and confident. I made the commitment to take control of my health and fitness, to build muscle, get stronger, and improve my endurance, even at an age when many believe it's too late. And I went in eyes wide open knowing I had to do it better if I wanted to avoid the obstacles that had held me back before.
Through commitment and consistency, I started to see incredible changes in my body. I shed the extra weight over 60 lbs, gained muscle and strength, and transformed not only my body but also my whole life.
Remember the word, commitment, because it is absolutely essential for success in anything important and hard that you do. I’ll talk more about this later.
I realized that my struggles and frustrations were not unique to me. There are so many men and women out there in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who want to get stronger, build muscle, and improve their endurance but they are held back by age-related concerns, lack of knowledge, and other challenges. When I started this journey, there were no coaches, podcasts, or books for people over 40 (except for maybe books on stretching or chair yoga).
That's why I'm here today. It's personal to me because I've been there, and I know first hand the difference that proper guidance and support can make. I've worked with 1000s of clients, helping them lose weight, get stronger, add muscle, and more than anything, age on their own terms. I want to be the guide that I wish I had when I started my own fitness journey.
The Four Reasons We Suck At This
There are four core reasons we struggle to get and stay fit. I’m going to briefly describe each of them. I probably don’t have to as you’ve probably experienced one or more of them.
- You don’t know what fitness is about. Most people think fitness is about a certain look and being an athlete. After all, CrossFit crowns the fittest man and women on Earth each year. Fitness goes much deeper than that and if you go into it thinking you should look a certain way or be able to do things like that you’re going to be very disappointed.
- You don’t know what to do. Sure it’s easy to look up workouts on Youtube or other websites. There are more of them than you could ever watch or do. But if you do the right workouts or don’t do enough, you’ll find you’re not getting the results you want or need. I’m not one to poo poo on people trying to get more fit by doing random workouts, but it’s hard to stay with it when you aren’t seeing any results.
- Injuries. In addition to not getting results, if you don’t know what to do or how to do it, it is very easy to get injured when you’re over 40. And the sad news is, it also takes us longer to recover (and in some cases we never fully do).
- Finding the motivation to stay consistent. Motivation seems like this fickle thing that comes and goes. And when it goes, consistency goes with it. Without consistency you won’t get decent results. The main issue is that people look at motivation wrong. It isn’t something that happens to you. It’s something you get based on your own thoughts and actions.
Did any of these hit home and get you to nod your head?
I want you to know that it is possible to overcome these challenges and achieve incredible results. And I’m going to share the quickest and easiest way in just a bit.
As I’ve worked with clients over the years, I’ve made a point to incorporate approaches that help you cover off on all four of these core problems.
The 6-Week Be Fit For Task Program
The program I’m most proud of is The 6-Week Be Fit For Task Program. This is a hybrid group and one-on-one program designed to give you a solid foundation of knowledge, skills, and mindset to reach all of your health and fitness goals. This foundation will make sure you don’t fall prey to the four core problem.
During the six week program, you’ll get:
- Weekly live virtual training sessions each week where Coach Allan will guide you through strategy, tactics, and mindset practices to optimize your results. These mini-workshops are hands on, so you’ll be applying the lessons in real time. They’re also recorded so if you miss the live session or you just want to go over the material again, you’ll have access throughout the program.
- Access to our exclusive in-app forum for small group discussions and check-ins to connect with like-minded men and women in the 40’s, 50s, and 60s who are on the same fitness journey. Share experiences, ask questions, find accountability partners, and receive support from both Coach Allan and your peers. And it is hosted in a dedicated forum that you can access through a website or on your phone, away from the notifications and distractions of Facebook or other social media platforms.
- Email and/or text guidance and support from Coach Allan. Throughout the program, you will have direct access to Coach Allan via email or text. Get answers to your questions, receive customized guidance, and have the support you need to overcome any obstacles or concerns.
- Workouts tailored to your specific needs and fitness level. Coach Allan understands that everyone has different fitness goals and preferences. In addition to providing predetermined workouts (2 full body workouts for beginners and 3 split workouts for intermediates). Coach Allan will work with you to customize your workouts based on your unique needs and preferences. Note: While a gym membership or good home gym are not required, they are highly recommended for you to see optimal results.
- Access to the 40+ Fitness App. Coach Allan has partnered with one of the top fitness app providers to give you a user-friendly tool. Easily track your progress, view workout videos, and stay connected with the community all in one convenient platform. You’ve heard the quote by Peter Drucker, “What gets measured, gets managed.” This app makes measuring your activities easy, which leads to forming healthy habits quicker.
Regardless of what’s held you back in the past, The 6-Week Be Fit For Task Program will help you overcome all those obstacles. You’ll dig deep and know why you’re doing the training and the realistic results you expect from it. You’ll know exactly what to do and how to do it so you get results fast without injuring yourself. And you’ll be doing the things you must do to keep motivation humming along throughout the journey because you’ll have the accountability and support you need.
The 6-Week Be Fit For Task Program really is the quickest and best way to get optimal results for your fitness.
Remember when I brought up commitment earlier? I said, “…it is absolutely essential for success in anything important and hard that you do.” I strongly believe there is nothing more important in life than your health and fitness. The entire course of your life for the rest of your life will be driven by the quality of your health and your fitness level.
And I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that it can be very hard fixing them. So, you will have to commit. You will have to commit time. You will have to commit effort. And if you want to do it right (with support, guidance, and accountability), you’ll have to commit money. But when you look at the payoff, none of those commitments is going to set you back much.
- Time - You’ll need to spend about 5 - 7 hours training each week (that’s 4% of your week at most). And you’ll need to dedicate some time to have good food and quality sleep.
- Effort - Changing your body takes some work. You’ll have to push yourself just outside your comfort zone (Coach Allan calls it gentle nudges). But the good thing is you’ll know why you’re doing what you’re doing so there won’t be any wasted effort.
- Money - The program costs $600. And that’s all. I won’t be selling you equipment, supplements, or meals.
When you consider the benefits (capability, confidence, resilience, independence, and quality of life), none of these commitments should seem like much.
I am certain all of the things the basic program offers would get you great results. But a mentor of mine once told me that I should always stack the odds so heavily in my own favor that there’s virtually no way to fail. I want to stack the odds so far in your favor that you cannot fail.
So, I’m offering these bonuses:
- Injury Prevention and Movement Analysis Workshop. During this 30-45 minute workshop, Coach Allan will walk you through some of the basics for injury proofing yourself. He will also open up for Q&A, where you can ask questions about injuries you have or have had. He will also direct you on how to video a specific set of movements and how you can upload that video for him to review and provide feedback on specific mobility and stretching work you can do to improve your results and reduce your risk of injury.
- Four Accelerator Calls. You’ll be able to schedule four (4) 15-20 minute calls with Coach Allan (Kickoff, Fitness, Nutrition, and Self-care). You’ll come out of the gates fast and with clear direction. And you’ll put together a deep health plan that complements your basic fitness goals.
- Exercise Form Reviews. You’ll be able to upload up to twelve (12) videos of various exercise sets and Coach Allan will provide coaching queues for you to improve your form. This will give you the confidence to know you’re performing the exercise right so you build strength quickly and lower your risk of injury.
One of the reasons I’ve been so successful as a coach is that invest a lot of time, effort, and money making sure I’m up to date on the latest science and practices. But even that isn’t enough for me. I’m in this to change lives and for that reason, I focus on results not time or effort spent on a client. I’m 100% committed to getting you results. I'm the only online coach that offers a 100% money-back guarantee. I do it because I am here to get you results. If I can’t do that, I don’t want to get paid.
So, let's get started on this journey together. I'm excited to share with you the roadmap to aging on your own terms. Thank you once again for joining me, and let's make today the first step towards your transformation.